Utopia : The Land of My Soul

Monday, November 06, 2006

Childhood-ed, Bowled and...

The tag tad has wolloped again towards me. And I have to give it a run as Matthew volleyed the googly. But being a fan of Sachin, the master blaster, am not afraid of it. I have hauled the ball that has pitched in and am enjoying the shot. Ah enough of my euphemism! Let's come to the point. Writing about childhood memories is like a tour to nostalgia. How chimeric it seems to seize the noddy, juvenile pleasures! The sylph-like shadowy flashback of those merry days have now become a a healing touch to the troubled mind, a psalm to the soul. I know I am carried away by the recollections. Feeling too hob-nobbed with memories to jot down anything. Oki here they go.

Fantasmoglorias of my green girlhood

1) As a tiny bopper, I remember being an obsessed collector of certain
worthless things. (Here
it's worthwhile to remind that I was no Lara Croft, the bone collector, but a collector of items generally termed as 'useless' or 'grub' by the adult world) My hobby was to gather multi-coloured pebbles, specially those with satin smooth feel and slightly on the side of uncommon shades. I went to hunt them during the long vacations and spent hours hoarding them. Wherever I vacationed, site-seeing meant pebble fishing. And I made a point to bring them back home, tidy them up from the squalor and pack them and trash them into the darkest corners of my cupboard. Sundays afternoon, I used to inspect which one won the 'most-appealing' pagent-title. Gone are those days of simpleton-like child's play.

2) This one I guess is a chronic girl sport. Yes, mothering dolls.
Those lazy afternoons on which
I teamed up with my younger sibling to cook a sumptuous meal for our week-long unfed dolls. What prolific cuisines we made out of the leaves, sand and peels of vegetables that we insidiously managed from the kitchen! (Sorry folks don't remember the recipes, or else our country's poverty would have been slashed down by now)

3) Not to forget those tom-boyish antics that were a part of my
schooling. I was a total freak at
school and lunch sessions were my time to champion the cause of nuisance. Right from bungy jumping from desk to desk (during lunch breaks classroom ground was always a 'not my type' place to trod on), to bantering the meek, to competing with the guys of our class in stamp-stamp(an innovative game in which the players had to scurry
after the fellow classmates
to dust on the white imprint of the blackboard duster on their skirts and pants), to getting into a mock row with the guys and trailing after them...I did them all effortlessly. Why lunchtime?? Coz folks I was the monitress of the class all through and later on the School Captain. So class hours were hours to be a ringmaster of the zoo.

4) I cherish those girl-talks with my girl group, investing the grey matter to ferret out solutions to their perpetual problems
(read those of the heart) and surrepticiously eyeing our senior
charming princes. Well, that was always a peer-pressure folks (disHONESTLY)

5) I miss those co-curricular activities of the school...
those competitions in which I always felt
the urge to bag prizes just to boost my ego and somehow the quests were fructified. (Had to be honest this time)

6) I die to have those winter days with molten gold sun shimmering on the quilts,
unfurled on
the rooftop, that would engulf my kid sis and me, both, in its smugness, and we would break into peals of chuckles when Mom failed to spot us and ended up with those infamous angry tirades.

7) The unadulterated ecstasy of being crushed. I had scuba-dived into
and out of crushes on the
screen honchos. I was frenzied into buying posters, scissoring out their pics from newspapers and then walling them out from father's sight.

The Great Wall of china will vye this list if I don't trim it here.

The Flip Side

1) Drinking milk everyday with those yucky, God-forbidden health drinks. Even till date, the smell of it makes me want to puke.

2)Those injust perpetrations imposed on me in a futile effort to cow me down.
Those unwritten
writs pegged my "born free" soul. Line-of-controls like - no listless lazying in the afternoons, curbed TV watching, coming back home from the playground as soon as the Sun dozes off to sleep, scanty of cash to squander, no experimentation with gadgets and no flaunting of creativity on the poor, inanimated walls of the rooms etc. dampened my spirits and gave a feeling of being claustrophobic.

3) Expulsion from the place where the adults huddled to gossip. Not that I was much of a gossip monger, but the inquisitivity would simply have had the better of me. I abhorred the idea of being expunged and packed off to other rooms only because I didn't qualify in age.

4) Those pedagogical lecturs from the relatives in droning, remorseless voices on my despicable state of being and the volley of axioms to describe what was to become of me. (It's not that they have dried up now, but reduced considerably)

5) The monotonus daily study hours. I was never a poor player in that game of academics, fared well in the exams. But somehow the idea of being a nerd irked me. On the contrary, my mom wanted me to be one- a methodical, regular, bonafide student.

6) Having to wake up in the morning even if it was a Saturday or a Sunday. This discipline thing never teethed into my system, sadly.

7) The stringent rule to stay miles away from the kitchen as I was a contant menace to the gas oven. I was keen on experimenting with the gas lighter, specially the way it sparks off to produce a flint of fire and lights the gas.

So these were excerpts of a journey through my mind-scapes, a journey that I will cherish to take over and over again. Now the biggie thing. I tag Rai, Priyankari, Deep, Ajay, Dhaval, Hazel dream, jiby(if he is not already tagged), Sandesh (when he chooses to blog again), Pradip and all those who drops by to read this and haven't been tagged. So folks muzzle up and give it a go...



Labels:

posted by Amrita at 3:03 pm

23 Comments:

"...after the fellow classmates to dust on the white imprint of the blackboard duster on their skirts and pants), to getting into a mock row with the guys and trailing after them...I did them all effortlessly. Why lunchtime?? Coz folks I was the monitress of the class all through and later on the School Captain. So class hours were hours to be a ringmaster of the zoo."

U school council people were unbelievable!! Misused ur powers huh?Grrrrr....how i hated it when i was the target!!

Neways cute post dudette!

11:20 pm  

thanx for takin up the tag..


I see this one quite different from the one i have read till now..
i could relate to collect worthless things..my bro always did that!!

and good that ur mom made u stay away from the kitchen..weird experiments u wanted to do then!! :)

am not gettin tired reading this..

12:50 am  

Fantasmoglorias
---------------
1. at least collecting pebbles is far better than collecting bones...

2. no comments...as u said it already "its a chronic girl sport!"

3. u remind me of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider...

4. girls will be girls :)

5. atleast this bolsters the decision of your teachers to make u the monitress of your class...

6. laziness at its peak...

7. i pity the poor walls...

Flip side
---------

1. at least now with variety of flavored milk available, u have an alternative...

2. unfortunately, its true with most....:(

3. so, u were not much, but a bit of gossip monger...right? that's enough :)

4. at least they showed that there is a "faint" light at end of the tunnel...

5. diplomacy at its best...

6. gud that u did not join the defence forces...

7. Madam Curie with a mission...

8:51 pm  

Going through your recollection it does give rise to a feeling of nostalgia.
yes we all had such days under the sun, to recount and to cherish.

cheers to the happy days, gone by and yet to come

11:51 pm  

haha even we boys used to look around for precious stones...we used to think we were one of those adventurous gold-diggers! nice list of childhood likes and dislikes you have mentioned...me was a bad student, studying worries never saw me looking at the brighter side of childhood when i was small...but now i'd give anything to go back.

btw my writing has hit a block...my neck and shoulders are still hurting...i think i need a proper desk and chair to write, rather than the sofa! thanks for tagging...will take this one up soon!

9:28 am  

@shakhi
should take up the tag , waiting to read your journey down the memory lane.

@deep
i know the non-school council people always have a grudge. You are tagged so waiing for your account of sunny days.

@matthew
thank you. so am successful in my attempt to entertain people. that's the biggest compliment.

@Sandesh
i liked your analytics of my list. no one could have analysed in such a step-by-step fashion. so you have read between the lines. ha? when r u taking up the tag????

@siddharth
ya cheers to the happy days bygone. I was so nostalgic when scribbling down that I took almost 2 hours to finish writing this one. It shouldn't have taken so long a time to complete oterwise.

@jiby
ya i know it was more of a guy's adventure. but like i said i was a tomboy and most of the time did what was unlike what the girls of my age did (barring the doll's house game)
I thought so that you were strained coz i was frantically looking up for the 3rd chapter and got that you weren't through with it. Take your time and my tag can wait.

11:01 am  

oh...so let me make figure you out of this...!!!!(jyotish ;))

1) hobby of collecting pebbles!! so you were active from those days

2)Chroic girl : i guess enthu of cooking still there and you help you mom in kitchen ;)

3) You remind me of my friend who was less of girl and more of boy ;)She too was good at studies and like as always said girls are like support to girls.

4)iam confused

5)Thank god girls dont tell truth ;)

6)i feel bad for that.But i think those are endearing moments right ??

7)At last intelligent , beautiful,soft and adorable angel is on her way in search of her partner who will be showered with her care and love in his life :) >:D<

-----------------------
Flip Side

1)hmmmm.....i think need to tell some story to make u drink.

2)those are the most beautiful days

3)common you this is the birth right of every girl.Never mind you can talk freely about it :)

4)Will come to know at latter age of that they were true

5)Mere Ma and Papa ka sapna ;)

6)beta early morning lakshmi ji ka vaas hota hai.So its good to wake up early morning ;) :))

7)are bapre yeh to bachpan se hi shararati thi ;)


So over all one some naughty,bit good and very beautiful girl is now standnig tall...

Take Care Vikas{V}

7:51 pm  

Very impressive and good thoughts to think back and for now:-)) I had fun plating with your tojo and shall I grab one for my blog...

5:08 am  

Amu, nice tag :-)
Loved your blogs...

12:47 pm  

hehe quite an interesting childhood u have :)
will certainly post mine i\by dec :)

11:50 pm  

Gone are the days of "putul-putul" khela ...yaar I really miss those days. I had so many clay dolls, a well-furnished doll's house ... tint pillows, blanket, cot, basket almirah, dining table, utensils of all kinds, refrigerator ...everything actually that you need to live like a family:-)

And I also remember when my Pa gifted me my first Barbie on my birthday ..they told me to sit with legs folded properly and close my eyes, and lo! there I found the pretty, pretty doll lying on my lap. It was a wonderful gift. I still have that in perfect condition. And eventually Barbie's other family members joined, a sister and a brother...

Wow! What days were those ...

Would love to do this tag. But I need some time, darrrling:-)

11:23 am  

@Vikas
wow you have made my kundali..nice and detailed analogy.hmmmmmmmm your jyotish sashtra is very stong must say

@Priya
thank you am flattered. Am happy that my tojo made you preocupied. sure go ahead have your pet . it's a wonderful feeling playing them up.

@Wriju
thanx for visiting my blog. would surely wait to see how you take up the tag and do justice to it.

@ajay
i know those were the best days of my life.....couldn't help bhumming these lines. waiting for you to take up your tag

@rai
O how i cherished having a perfect doll's house! i never had one all i had was bits and pieces of what you call term as doll's house. ARRGH! getting jealous that you owned one. Ok honey as long as you take up the tag i'm ready to wait. i know your childhood muses are too crowding your mind. Am eager to read about those nostalgic days

11:37 am  

Amu - realy enjoyed yr trip down the memory lane ! could relate to quite a lot of em, ...it was fun reading...(the trim was not required since it was ALL FUN!)

11:47 am  

good one..
thanks for reading ma poems..

12:58 pm  

soon soon!

7:22 am  

a sachin supporter from kolkata, the land of the royal bengal tiger and saurav ganguly !!

this has to be a first of sorts

10:29 pm  

Hey Amu thnx for tagging me but I will be able to finish the TAG assignment in next week only…
Till then njoy!!!

2:00 pm  

no new post ? work ?

1:10 am  

will certainly take up the tag...but not before end of Dec...btw when can we expect a new post from you?

5:55 pm  

you display typical cancerian traits don't you? collecting worthless things, slipping into gloominess and nostalgia for no reason, sometimes vicariously living out a life of princess..there are few people who revela themselves in their posts...almost always makes an enjoyable read

1:17 am  

Ur childhood days were interesting... girlies talks ??? u seriously enjoyed those??

4:19 pm  

Nice post and very well written.I strated smiling as soon as I read stamp stamp ,strange coincidence that we too played that game and called it the same, and also remembered the tea i used to make, with tea leaves, milk , sugar, a lot of enthusiasm but alas no fire.
Good old days..wish I could go back.

12:47 pm  

ne updates???????

8:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home